May 16, 2008

Waiting for the next big MMORPG

The early access phase of Age of Conan is starting tomorrow and I am kind of giddy with anticipation. Not because I am participating (I am not), but because I am interested in hearing how it goes.

I hope the game gets off to a nice start and is fun to play. Any competition to WoW can only help the genre. And it would provide me with a game that is worthwhile to try out when I get tired of LotRO.

The time couldn't be better for the release of a big MMORPG. Many of the WoW players are sick and tired of the game after three years. Other titles such as Warhammer Online, Stargate Worlds, or addons like Wrath of the Lich King and Mines of Moria are still months away. There is a good chance for a success if the game is solid.

But the reports from the beta about stability and performance have been very mixed and some of the concepts of the game seem flawed to me.

As far as I know every character starts in the same area, a town called Tortage, and is stuck there for the first 20 levels. For an explorer-type person like me who also likes to create lots of alts this sounds like a very very stupid idea. I hope they make that part optional after you have the first character out of the starting area.

Another thing that has me worried is the game's focus on PvP. I am a carebear and not overly interested in PvP. I haven't really read up on the distinction between PvE and PvP servers yet. To get me to try the game it has to offer a ganking-free environment on the PvE servers. From what I know the PvP server are free-for-all PvP without any factions. Every other player is a potential enemy. And that sounds like pure hell to me. I pray that the PvE servers are far less hardcore.

As many others out there I am now waiting for the first reports from players to trickle in. I can't do much more than wish Funcom good luck - don't screw it up! Another successful MMORPG to play would make me happy. And probably a lot of hardware vendors as well since the system requirements for the game are kind of insane.

No comments: