February 29, 2008

Warlocks and Shadow Priests - guilty until proven innocent

No, this post is not about demonic sacrifices of baby orcs...

... just about my reactions to self-mutilations by casters of the shadowy persuasion.

Lifetapping warlocks can scare the shit out of me with the self inflicted health deficits they use to regenerate mana. And the backlash from a shadowpriest critting Shadow Word: Death can be even worse.

The aggro indicators in Grid or other raid-frames just aren't fast or accurate enough to distinguish between such self-inflicted damage that can be healed at leisure and "zomg that noob pulled aggro again - spam heals and pray"!

For safety reasons I assume the person in question is a noob and about to be mashed into a bloody pulp. In 5-mans I might notice in time that the mobs are still firmly attached to the tank and just throw a single Renew for topping them up. But in the chaos of a raid everyone is 'guilty of overaggroing until proven innocent' and causes me to prepare for a full-blown healing spam while I mutter curses under my breath.

Not that it matters in most end game encounters where random attacks outside of the good old aggro table seem to be the norm instead of the exception. There everyone is 'considered dead unless immediately healed to full'. And my curses in such encounters often go way beyond the "under my breath" threshold. ;)

2 comments:

Khai said...

As a warlock, I firmly think it's up to the warlock to life tap sensibly and communicate their strategy to the healers.

For example, in stand-still-and-nuke fights, you want to incorporate life tap into your rotation, for a typical destruction warlock it would be a (for example) 4x Shadow Bolt - 1x Life Tap cycle. In those fights you want to avoid life tapping more than once, or otherwise you'll send all sorts of alarm signals to your healers, all the raid healers will divert their attention to you etc. while a single Renew would have been enough.

In movement fights, you want to maximize your nuke time, so good warlocks will try to life tap only when they have to move and can't nuke. Tell your healers when you will life tap, for example on Al'ar, tell your priests to HoT you when you're running between platforms in phase 1 and when he goes up in the air in phase 2.

As always, communication is key, but I'll be the first to admit I don't always follow my own advice :).

super said...

ah; the good old days of feigning death to make you wonder what was going on ;)